Monday, August 16, 2010

A Month on My Own


Mandie is back from her really long vacation. She was gone a little over a month. We went the other day to see the new movie, Inception. It focuses on dreams which I found to be relevant to my recent attempts on learning to lucid dream. Anyway, this entry will cover a few things that happened in the time Mandie was away.

My quest for monitor speakers that I highlighted in my previous post ended up being fruitful. I have a pair of very nice monitors and have organized my studio and integrated them into the setup. They sound excellent! I'm going to be much happier working with my sounds from now on. If you haven't heard any of my tracks, check out my soundcloud account to listen. The latest track, Ghost in a Groovebox was made solely with, and demonstrates my rekindled relationship with my drum machine. I am also on official.fm now, but the content there is only a small selection from my soundcloud tracks. I made the account two days before the switchover from fairtilizer which caused a few glitches, but everything has been smoothed out and it is working fine now.

I attended a workshop where artist Teresa Foley conducted a live recording session and presented her project, Locally Toned. It involves recording sounds that relate to specific locations and turning them into ringtones that are available to the public free of charge. I brought along my induction coil and the rewired insides of a CD player and used them to make my tones. There is a video of the workshop where I pop up between 4:18 and 4:56, though I must say that my favorite part is the short bit at 5.50. Also, I am the proud new owner of the orange Magnus Organ that Jonathan plays in the video to make his tone. After the workshop, I thought about Teresa's question, what does Berlin sound like? Some ideas came to me, and I sent them to her, and the next thing I know, we had made plans to go out and do some field recording. I took her to the Französischer Dom where we made recordings of the bells from inside the tower, as well as the squeaky door that led out onto the cupola. We also took a ride on one of the noisier U-Bahn lines to catch some of the screeching of metal wheels and train brakes on the rails that echo inside the tunnels. I was surprised and excited when Teresa handed over her recording gear to let me capture some of the sounds on my own. You can hear all the tones on the Locally Toned website, as well as read more detailed information on the Locally Toned blog. I make an appearance in the August 4th, 5th, and 17th entries.



In response to an ad on Craigslist, I ended up with about 76 movies on VHS, a VCR, the remote and a SCART adapter. They were free with the donation of some beer, and good titles too. I can't wait to go through them all. The only problem is, we don't have a TV!

My friend Carmen went back to Spain. There was a farewell party in her flat. I was sent to get some ice at the store, but the store were all out. Improvising, I went to three convenience stores before trying my luck in a bar around the corner. The bartender told me that she could only give me a little, so we loaded up a few scoops into a plastic bag I was carrying. This was more than enough to keep our Sangria cold. It was a delightful evening with lots of fun people and delicious food, including la tortilla de patatas!

I went to this month's 11 performance. 11 is a performance involving two invited artist utilizing cracked media and unstable systems, held on the 11th of every month. The two artists this month were turntablist Maria Chavez and electro-acoustic artist Ignaz Schick. There were some interesting sounds produced, but I was not completely into the overall performance. Still, I had a good time.

No comments: